Wednesday, October 15, 2008

School vouchers

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Well the vote on school vouchers is next week so I thought I would give my two cents. When I first heard about the idea I was for school vouchers, however, after doing some reading and hearing both sides I have decided to change my mind.
First off I find the way the voucher amount is determined is rather stupid. A family of 2 (including parents) with a family income of $30,000 a year will get $2,750 per student in voucher money. That part I have no issue with, its with family sizes 4 and above where my issues are. Families 4 and above at $30,000 family income get a $3,000 voucer per student. Why do the bigger families get more money per student? If you make it beneficial to have more kids then you are still going to create overcrowding issues even in private schools. If this is supposed to be effective then it should be $3,000 per student if the family income is at $30,000 regardless if that family has 1 kid or 20.
My other issue is that there is no upper limit to who can recieve voucher money. Even a family with an icome of $80,000 gets $500 to $1,000 per student (again depend on how big the family is). I'm sorry but if you are making that much money you don't need to recieve voucher money because you should be able to afford sending your kid(s) to a private school if you wish without it. That $500-$1,000 could easily be more valuable to the lower income families. Without an upper limit on who can recieve vouchers you cheat the people who really need them.
Anyways thats just my take on the facts and why I will vote against them

No comments:

Post a Comment