Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Illegal Immigration

Saturday, May 5, 2007

Ok I have been thinking about this for a few days and in light of the immigration protests again this year I figured I would put in my two cents. There is no question that illegal immigration is a threat to our national security and that reforms must be implemented to fix the problems with it. Now, in all of this debate to my knowledge not a single word has been said about our "policy" towards Cuban "refugees". For those who don't know, it is a policy that any Cuban who crosses the ocean and sets foot on the beach in Florida is allowed to remain in this country no questions asked. Now I'm no expert but if a person comes to this country without going through the proper channels and filling out the paperwork, applying for a visa, etc. they are here illegally. So why is it that we are giving these Cubans a "get into country free" card? I mean how do we know these aren't crimals, drug dealers, etc? We don't and that poses a threat to our national security. Now I know some people may say "well they are fleeing an oppressive country and hardships." Well, what about Haitian refugees? If they make it to a U.S. beach, they are sent back to Haiti where, from what I know, the conditions are far worse than in Cuba. We don't allow any other group freely into this country. If we did then we would have 90% of the African population here already. So why should the Cubans get in free? Seems to me that any type of immigration reform must address this "Cubans get in free" thing. If every other person has to come into the country legally then so do the Cubans that make it to the U.S. on little rafts. They should be sent back to Cuba and told how to come to the U.S. legally.

No comments:

Post a Comment