Thursday, November 25, 2010

I am thankful for....

Since it is Thanksgiving and all, I thought I would share one thing that I am thankful for. Especially given the…how shall I say…bull shit of the last week or so.

I am thankful for the fact that we have not had another terrorist attack in this country since September 11, 2001. Sorry Republicans, but it’s true. A Democratic president is just as effective at protecting this country as a Republican president is. Mostly though, I am thankful because it means that lives have been saved thanks to the efforts of our military and our government. But I am also thankful because it has prevented, especially after this last week, all these people who are now against increased airline security from looking like totally and complete asses. If we had been attacked recently then suddenly all of those people would be going from “security is too invasive and unconstitutional” to “this is all Obama’s fault for not being tougher and not being able to make the hard decisions.”

This is the world that everyone wanted. When we whole-heartedly accepted the Patriot Act being shoved down our throats because it was in the name of “national security.” When we were all engaged in a pissing contest of who is the most patriotic we had no qualms about giving up our rights left and right. This is the world that was created, and now it seems that since there is a Democratic president in the White House calling the shots, everyone starts bitching and moaning when we are asked to sacrifice something more. People suddenly start clamoring that these new TSA procedures are unconstitutional. Well guess what my friends, you wanted more security, you wanted to feel safer, that is EXACTLY what you got.

One of the most favored suggestions is to use profiling instead of all this other stuff. That is all well and good but there is a slight problem. In this country, we have gotten it slammed into our heads of what the typical terrorist looks like, worships, acts like, etc. The problem is that once you start to think that way, and your opponent KNOWS how you think, that is when they slip through the cracks. That is when Middle Eastern person is basically strip searched and yet the real threat walks freely by in the form of an average white person who was raised in a totally Christian household. Americans are honestly too in love with stereotypes and biases for profiling to be a totally effective tool.

But even as we speak, soldiers from multiple countries are living in the line of fire, some giving up their lives, all because we told them to go forth and protect us. Are we all seriously going to sit here and bitch about having to MAYBE be given a pat-down at the airport, to have a digital image of our body taken to see if we are hiding anything before we board a plane, while men and women are giving their LIVES for the same reason? To try and make this world a better and safer place? If you can’t give up that small of a thing (pat-down, body scan, etc) then what would you give up? Would you give up food, gas, metals, money, loved ones, etc? Because guess what, that was just PART of the price that had to be paid to ensure victory during World War II.

I am the first to admit I HATE the Patriot Act, but am I fighting to get it repealed? Am I bitching about it being unconstitutional? No. I may hate it, but I accept that I may need to sacrifice my own personal privacy on some things in order to help the greater good of the country. I know I have nothing to hide, that if people want to read my blogs, texts, or emails, etc. then fine enjoy your government empowered voyeurism because I am going to go on living my life how I want and I hope they enjoy the ride along with me. I can honestly say I would give up tv, internet, my car, a fourth to half my income if I had to in order to ensure this country withstands the test of time and all the threats that go along with it. Would you? Could you?

So in this world of ongoing wars and financial woes I ask we all do one thing. Be thankful for what you have and mindful of what you have lost. If you have to endure a few inconveniences, a few rare invasions of your space and privacy, just remember and be glad that it isn’t worse. Be thankful that the little things you are willing to give up may in the end save all of our lives. Live each day as if it is your last and be thankful each morning you are able to wake up and start it all over again because there are many whose last day will be today, or was yesterday. Who would gladly deal with the inconvenience of a body scanner or a pat-down if it ensured them one more day of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment