Tuesday, January 20, 2009

44th Presidential Inaugural

After watching the Inauguration of President Obama and seeing the sea of people there, I thought I would share my thoughts on what I saw and how I felt about it.

I thought his speech was excellent as his almost always are. It was full of images and words that I think this nation needed to hear. If he succeeds as President, I think it will be a speech that is long remembered. He has defined what he wants the country to do to help itself and the world. He has set the bar high for himself and the country and I look forward to seeing how close we come to doing it.

I also thought the sea of people who were there was also a very powerful image in itself. If I was an opponent or enemy of this country, that image alone would cause me pause and send shivers down my spine. Not from fear of arms, but fear that when this country is united as one we can be a force of ideals so powerful that NOTHING can stop us.

Admiral Yamamoto of the Japanese Imperial Navy said in 1941 after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor: "I fear that all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill it with a terrible resolve." I think that if this new attitude in America holds, and the President succeeds, that our opponents and enemies will shudder as this giant fully awakens anduses ALL of its power to make the world a better place for everyone

1 comment:

  1. Two million people is almost double the next biggest inauguration ever, that of LBJ's, around 1.2 million. Please note that both are Democrats. Reagan only attracted 800K at his.

    Can Obama succeed? I sure hope so, but the challenges facing him--and us--seem intractable at this point. My prayers that he can pull us out of them successfully.

    ReplyDelete